Inihaw na Pusit is a dish of marinated squid stuffed with tomato and onion then grilled over hot charcoal. The best place to cook this is at the beach when you’re on holidays with the family. You’re guaranteed to find delicious and fresh seafood, and the recipe for this is so easy it almost cooks itself!
My secret to cooking the best inihaw na pusit is not overcooking the squid otherwise it can become dry and tough. The charcoal should be hot enough that the squid starts browning within a couple of minutes of being placed on the BBQ.
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- 1 small red chilli finely chopped
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp calamansi juice
- 2 squid tubes trimmed and rinsed
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- 1 small onion chopped
- black pepper
- In a ceramic dish place the sugar, garlic, chilli, soy sauce, calamansi juice and black pepper. Mix well.
- Add the squid tubes, cover, place in the fridge and leave to marinate for at least 4 hours.
- Meanwhile combine the chopped tomato and onion in a bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Remove the squid from the marinade.
- Use a toothpick to close the hole at the smaller end of the squid tube.
- Fill the inside of the tube with the tomato and onion mixture, leaving enough room at the top to close with another toothpick.
- Grill the squid over hot charcoal for 6 to 10 minutes per side. It should be golden brown, but do not overcook.
- Serve with a dipping sauce of soy sauce, red chilli, garlic and calamansi juice.
Need help with the Filipino ingredients? Check out the glossary.